|Join us in celebrating! You may have heard the inspiring news that the U.S. House of Representatives recently passed a resolution designating the second week of September as Arts in Education Week to promote and showcase the immense role arts education has in producing engaged, successful, and college-and career-ready students. The resolution states:
Arts education, comprising a rich array of disciplines including dance, music, theatre, media arts, literature, design, and visual arts, is a core academic subject and an essential element of a complete and balanced education for all students.
This resolution is the first Congressional expression of support celebrating all of the arts education disciplines - dance, music, theater and visual arts, and seeks to support the attributes of arts education that are recognized as instrumental to developing a well-rounded education such as creativity, imagination, and cross-cultural understanding.
A Few Great Ways to Support Arts Education This Week:
- Donate art supplies. Pick up a tube of acrylic paint, the most-needed art supply for children and young adults. $3-5 average cost. Send your supplies in to Dreaming Zebra®, or visit our Blick ArtRoom Aid List to order online, and we'll we'll deliver your donations with hands-on impact to students in need today.
- Make a contribution to ship art supplies to a school in need, or repair a band instrument. Your $25-100 donation enables the shipment of critical art supplies to worthy students in underserved areas, and/or helps to repair band instruments for young musicians who might otherwise not experience music education in 2010.
- Volunteer. Initiate an art supply or fundraising drive in your home or business.
- Get Creative. Getting involved means getting inspired, and engaging our creative dreams. Unleash your artistic impulses this week in celebration of what Arts Education means to you and it's vital role in the educational system and in our community. Make art.
- Commit to An Act of Giving. Take an action that you feel is a commitment to Arts Education; however big or small. Follow your muses, and do something that you connect with personally to support the cause.
We look forward to enjoying a National Arts Education Week 2010 that not only galvanizes Arts Education awareness, but also inspires arts and culture supporters across the nation to get involved and lend a helping hand, whether it be by donating a paintbrush, contributing to a worthy local arts group, or enjoying special time creating art for the sake of creating art. This is a week to give to Arts Education, and we thank you for supporting the Dreaming Zebra® Foundation.